What Happens When You Combine The World's Favorite Meat & World's Favorite Nut?
Welcome to the Gourmet Chicken Series. Today we bring you the mouth and tongue dazzling, Turkish Poached Chicken with Walnut Sauce.
Ingredients: 4 tbsp. walnut oil, 4 tsp. & 2 tbsp. paprika, 4 whole chicken breasts on the bone with the skin, 1 carrot cut into pieces, 1 rib celery cut into pieces, 1 onion halved, 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed, 2 Turkish bay leaves, parsley stems, 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, 2 slices firm white bread crusts removed, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tsp. minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. cayenne, 2 cups lightly toasted walnuts, chopped parsley leaves for garnish, sliced Turkish bread / pita bread as accompaniment
1. In a small saucepan, gently heat the walnut oil with 4 teaspoons of the paprika. Remove from the heat and let infuse.
2. In a medium pot, place the chicken, carrots, celery, half of the onion, the garlic clove, bay leaves, parsley stems and peppercorns. Cover with water by 1 to 2 inches (about 1 quart) and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and remove the chicken to a plate to cool. Strain the stock into a clean container and let cool.
5. When the meat is cool enough to handle, shred or chop into pieces.
6. In a small bowl, soak the bread with enough stock to soften. Let sit for 2 minutes then squeeze dry and tear into pieces.
7. Chop the remaining onion half.
8. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
9. Add the chopped onions, garlic, remaining 2 tablespoons paprika, and the cayenne and gently cook, stirring, until aromatic and soft but not colored, 5 to 6 minutes.
10. Remove from the heat and let cool.
11. In a food processor, grind the walnuts. Add the onion mixture, bread pieces and enough of the reserved stock to blend, about 1 cup. Process to make a smooth paste, adding additional stock 1 tablespoon at a time as needed.
12. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, with salt and pepper.
13. In a bowl, toss the chicken pieces with half of the sauce to coat. Place on a decorative platter and spread the rest of the sauce over the top.
14. Drizzle with the paprika-infused walnut oil and garnish with parsley.
Serve at room temperature with bread.