How Can You Read Your Future From a Coffee Cup?
You just finished your delicious coffee. Does your coffee experience end here ?? If it's not Turkish coffee, the answer is definitely yes. But in case of Turkish coffee, your adventure lasts even after the last sip of the coffee 🙂
Along with way it is ground and boiled, Turkish coffee is unique as it allows your fortune to be told by looking at the cup!
Coffee and fortune-telling? I know it sounds strange. But, reading future from Turkish coffee cup (fincan) is an ancient tradition in Turkey. Also, around the world Turkish coffee is the most known way of tasseography.
The idea behind Turkish coffee fortune-telling (kahve fali) is actually very simple. It is believed that the shapes and patterns left by the grounds on the cup and saucer have some meanings.
Here is the step-by-step explanation of Turkish coffee fortune-telling:
1- The person who future will be read should drink the coffee. The person should be in a relax mood and drink it slowly. (Actually, Turkish coffee should not be drunk in hurry!
2. After the last sip, put the saucer on top of the Turkish coffee cup and make a wish. Traditionally, at this step, the person says “Let my fortune match my state!” 🙂 With the saucer still covering the top, the cup is held at chest level and turned counter-clockwise a few times. Then, turn the saucer and the cup upside down (flip over). Wait until the cup cool. Sometimes a coin may be placed on top to make the cup cool faster and to dispel bad omens that could be read from it.
3. Then remove the saucer and look into the cup. Fortune teller predict the future according to the symbols created by the coffee ground left in the cup. Starting from the cup's handle, imagine a horizontal and vertical lines. So, you have four different imaginary areas in the cup.
4. Look at the symbols clockwise. The symbols that stay at right hand side of your imaginary vertical line are read as positive things. The ones staying at left hand side are negative. The symbols staying over the imaginary horizontal line are interpreted as things that will happen in the short-run. The symbols, which are below the line, are believed to happen in the long-run.
5. Color of the grounds has also a meaning. Light color means the wish will become true easily.
6. After reading the cup, the symbols over the saucer can be read too. To do it, first, drain coffee residue in the saucer. Then, hold the saucer vertical, not horizontal, and start to read the symbols. Some people believe that the saucer reading is just to verify things read from the cup.
In Turkey, it's believed that some “special” people can read fortune from the cup better than others. Even there are people who make fortune telling out of coffee cups professionally.
There are some common beliefs about certain types of symbols. However, two different people can read the same cup and saucer in a different way. Because, the crucial point of fortune-telling from Turkish coffee is to put your personal interpretation.
There's a Turkish proverb Do not believe in fortune telling, but do not disregard it, either! 🙂