Best Tips on How to Make a Pizza at Home
It still is delicious to make pizza yourself.
Not simple, if you want the bottom to be as the ones you find in Italy. A crispy almost burnt crust, which is not easy! Having your own pizza oven in the kitchen is a bit big and very hot. But there are other possibilities.
Try putting a flat tile or stone in the oven and cook it glowing hot for one hour on the highest setting and then bake your pizza on it.
For the bottom crust you will need:
250 grams divided flower, half a packet of dry yeast, salt, water and a tablespoon of olive oil.
Sift the flour, mix the dry yeast through, then the water (careful, not too much at once and continue kneading.
Knead just until until you get a smooth elastic dough. If you salt too early your dough will not rise as it should. Knead again for 15 minutes. Let it rise for at least one hour, preferably longer in a warm place.
Now the sauce: a can of tomatoes, season with oregano, salt, pepper, and squeezed garlic clove. all in a saucepan and gently let simmer (20 minutes). Let it cool down. Knead the dough again and roll as thin as possible. Turn the oven on high. Real pizza ovens go to 450 degrees but that can not be achieved with our kitchen ovens. Now cover the pizza dough with a thin layer of sauce and mozzarella cheese, a bit of pepper and a little olive oil.
Slide the pizza in the oven and let it bake. In a real pizza oven it takes only 3 minutes but at home, it takes much longer. If he is golden he can come out of the oven and the pizza is ready.
Here are a few variations:
1) I love the pizza "bianco".
That is actually an empty pizza but I like putting some Mozzarela cheese to it. Slide it into the oven. If the pizza is baked, sprinkle generously with rucola and put some roast beef or carpaccio, a splash of olive oil and a stroke of the pepper mill. Delicious!
2) Create a regular pizza, but with tomato slices and place on along with some anchovies, oregano and sliced boiled egg. Sprinkle some Mozzarela and slide it in the oven.
3) make a simple pizza with tomato sauce and put some nice soft-boiled ham, sauteed mushrooms and some Mozzarella and in the oven.
Some general tips.
1) Do not put too much sauce, because that makes you a wet pizza.
2) Do not overload your pizza ingredients: 3 is the maximum.
3) Eat it as soon as possible! Only americans eat cold pizza!
4) Bake your pizza in an oven as hot as possible, the hotter the better!
5) Never put pineapple on your pizza, that's a regular sin!
Drink a cool, dry red Lambrusco with it and you're good! Cheers!