Barbecue Secrets – Pizza in the Smoker!
Most people tend to think of a barbecue smoker as being exclusively for meats, fish and poultry. Actually, there is hardly any limit to the types of things that can be prepared in a smoker. Fruits, vegetables cheeses, desserts and even pizza can take on incredible flavors when cooked properly in a smoker.
This article focuses on one of my favorites; the barbecue pizza. There are tons of ways you can do this, but I'll give you a few of my favorites which are guaranteed to please any crowd. The barbecue pizza works best when your smoker temperature is around 275-300 degrees. Many smokers have a difficult time getting and maintaining a temperature much higher than this anyway, so just do the best you can to get yours good and hot. You will need the following for one pizza:
- One already prepared and baked pizza crust. These are available at any grocery store and usually come two to a package. Boboli makes a pretty good one.
- A bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce.
- About a cup of cooked chicken that has been chopped into small pieces. The ideal chicken to use would be some that you already prepared in your smoker. Maybe it was leftover last night's barbecue. Leftover folded pork works well too.
- About half a can of pineapple chunks
- Thinly sliced red onion (as much or as little as you like)
- Two cups of grated mozzarella cheese
Assemble this just as you would any other oven baked pizza. Spread barbecue sauce over the crust, add your cheese and other toppings and slide it into the smoker right on top of the grates. This will produce a crispier crust, or if you prefer a softer crust you can place the pizza on a cookie sheet. Since everything is already cooked, all you are really doing here is browning the crust a bit, melting the cheese, warming the other ingredients, and incorporating a nice smoky flavor in your pizza.
This is just one idea. The sky is the limit with pizza so use your imagination. The recipe above works great with shrimp or salmon instead of chicken or filled pork. How about a dessert pizza? Take the same prepared crust and spread it with a thin layer of softened and sweetened cream cheese. Top that with small pieces of fruit like fresh chopped pineapple, sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar on top, and you've got yourself a hot dessert with a dessert smokiness that is fantastic!